Thursday, July 27, 2017

School Uniforms... Yes or No?






The question of  school uniforms has plagued our society for many years and why I'm debating this, I have no idea, since I no longer have children of school age. It was just something that popped into my at the alarming hour of 3:00 a.m. when I woke with a start and the debate rattling around in my head. Now I ask you.... Why is that? No freckin' idea. Ha! Ha!

So, to let's get on with the debate...

Are uniforms beneficial to students? When I worked in a school (years ago) the debate began. I, for one, was opposed to the idea (at that time I had a school aged child).


Some of the things I heard on the pro side were:

*They cut down on violence.
*They improve social interaction.
*They improve scholastic abilities.
*Easier for parents to clothes shop.
*Etc., Etc., Etc.

Now I give you my opinion of the "con" side of things:

*If a student has violent tendencies, what they are wearing isn't going to change that. Caring and loving acts are what make a difference. (Not in all cases, I know this from experience, but sometimes a "violent" or "misbehaved" child just needs some one-on-one attention.)
Improving Social Interactions.... Well, let's think about this one... Whether I'm wearing a dress or shorts, I'm still going to act the same way around people. My social skills don't change with what I have on. However, I will admit that sometimes you (or I) have more confidence when I'm dressed to the "nines" but deep down, I'm still same old me.

*Scholastic Abilities... Ummmm.... Not even gonna debate this one. What I have on doesn't make me "smarter" or want to learn more. If anything, when my son was in school, he was more apt to pay attention and "learn" when he was dressed in his comfy clothes as opposed to starched, "stiff", items.

*Easier for parents to shop... Yep. This might be the true. Although, when I was researching the practice of school uniforms, I found that I could still buy other clothes much cheaper, which would impact my budge significantly. At times, I was able to find items at the secondhand stores that were basically brand new for pennies on the dollar and that was much cheaper and easier than hunting specific items. I must admit, I was a lucky parent in the fact my son didn't require or ask for name brand items (except his motorcycle racing gear, but hey, even I agreed with those items... Safety first, after all).

*Etc., Etc., Etc... I could go on an on for the con side and yes, I could even name more pros, but my point is, do children really want them? Shouldn't they have an opinion in the matter?

And why am I bringing this debate up? Again, I admit, I have no idea.
Ha! Ha!



*Images acquired through Google images. I do not own the rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment