Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Let Your Imagination Be Your Guide



I've been trying to promote imaginative crafts with students lately, one of the main areas of focus being on letting their imaginations be their guide. With a few odds and ends, I've discovered that children can come up with some of the most amazing ideas. For instance, one student used a paper plate, colored tissue paper, and glue to create a "menu". On the plate was a taco with all the trimmings, and various other items. The incredible thing.... it was so easy to see what the "artist" saw.

I have found in life that some of the best works of art are often those that begin with only a spark of an idea, growing as they're created. Let me give you an example: What if I were to give you craft sticks (Popsicle), scraps of yarn, googly eyes, one piece of construction paper (color of your choice), glue, markers, and scissors to work with. What would your imagination come up with to create?

Over the years I've been introduced to some people with vivid imaginations that have been the brains behind some amazing pieces of art and literature. I'd like to highlight a few of those people focusing on authors, at this time.

First off we have the amazing and incredibly talented Torie James with her New Camelot series. Boy, what a twist this one has. I have to say, this series is by far one of my favs. Timeless Night and Timeless Desire.





Then there is someone who holds a special place in my heart, an up and coming author with a series about love, sports, music, and more. Jamie W. Matlock has a sense of humor that extends through her writing in Love Aced and Love Strung (available through Amazon.com)





Who is one of your "new" favorite authors or artists? 
I'd love to hear about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment