Friday, November 1, 2013

Thankful... Are you?

Websters defines thankful as:

  • glad that something has happened or not happened, that something or someone exists, etc.
  • of, relating to, or expressing thanks


Thankful... there are so many things to be thankful for in your life, whether you realize it or not.

What are you thankful for? I'm not asking this just because Thanksgiving is a few weeks away. I'm asking this as a serious question. WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR?

If I were asking myself that question, the first answer that pops into my brain is, I'm thankful that I woke up this morning to start a new day. After that, the list could go on for days. There are so many things in life that I'm thankful for. Are there things I'd rather forget? Most definitely. But yet, without the regrets, would we learn from those experiences?

My previous post talked about sharing your love of reading with others. When I mentioned the number of books I've read this year, it made me think about the fact that some people can't afford to buy a book to read. Which brings me around to another point, I'm thankful for, Amazon gift cards. You can never have too many of those, so I'm grateful for each and everyone.

Now, on to more important things, like the air we breathe. What about having a job? Having great friends? A child that just out of the blue sends a text to say hello? What about the student that tells you thanks for listening to them? These things would make my list of items to be thankful for. What about yours?

Alphonse Karr summed it up by saying, "Some people are grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Kind of like the glass half empty dilemma. Is it half empty or half full?

Again, I say it's the little things that are the most important. Yes, we all remember to be thankful for the big things in our lives, or we should, but the small things are just as essential. So as we start the season of giving thanks, let's be sure to pay attention to things we may ordinarily overlook.


No comments:

Post a Comment