Thursday, October 31, 2013

November already? What happened to the rest of the year?

Can you believe it's November 1st already? Neither can I. Which makes me ask the question in the title, "What happened to the rest of the year?" It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the New Year and now Thanksgiving is nipping at our heels.

In looking at the number of days that have past this year in what seems like a blue, I've been reminiscing over the books I've read in the past ten months. Then another question pops into my mind. How many books have I read in this time period? Since my average reading time is a book a day, that brings the approximate number up to 300. Of course that doesn't take in account the number of days I read more than one, but it's a close estimate. WOW! THREE-HUNDRED. Not as many as some people, but more than most, I suppose.

Now let's take a moment to reflect on the men and women who are behind the writing of these books and thank them for their continued diligence in providing these works of art for us. There are some very talented people out there working hard to keep us "in the read".

So here's my thought for the day.... With the holiday season fast approaching, why not snuggle up to a good book and a cup of hot cocoa or your favorite "frilly" coffee? I know I'll be doing that on a frequent basis. And, here's another thought.... Why not share your love of reading this year by giving the gift of a good book this Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate) to your family and friends? Or donate some books to a local youth center or senior care facility.

Share your love of reading by volunteering to read at a school, children's hospital, senior care facility, or your local library. A book is a gift that keeps on giving.



No comments:

Post a Comment