Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Author Spotlight: Torie James



If you haven't read the first book in this series, Timeless Night, you must do so immediately. It's a fabulous book with a new twist on Camelot. Author Torie James combines a great mix of intrigue, wit, and charismatic characters in her writing. Tonight I'm honored to feature her next book, Timeless Desire from the New Camelot series.

Due to my crazy schedule these days, Torie and I were unable to be here at the same time to conduct your usual interview type of session, so Ms. James was kind enough to submit a document for me to include. Below are the words of Torie James:

The Once and Future Queen Gig

I get ribbed from those who don’t know me very well about the moniker “The Once and Future Queen”. 

Isn’t it arrogant of me?

Isn’t it a bit of grandiose imagining?

Isn’t it overly cocky?

Isn’t it dramatic?

Yes. And yes. And yes. Oh and let’s not forget ...yes.

But then, I’ve travelled a hard, bumpy road to snag this particular nick name. I have paid my dues and I have bled, cried and fought the good fight in ways no one can imagine.

Once upon an ancient story, there was a world called Camelot that was full of magic and mystery. It was a place where knights had honor, where bravery was rewarded, and where every man and woman held as much authority as the King, himself.

My New Camelot is not a place. It's not a destination that you can travel to by any means known to man. It's an idea. It's a belief. Sometimes to find the light, you have to travel through the deepest dark. Things in life will either scare you or scar you.

I have scars. I prefer them. They showed that I fought, that I stood my ground and never wavered. I took what was handed me by Fate, by the Gods, and I fashioned something beautiful from the shadows, from the pain.

A recurrent theme in the New Camelot series that touches on the women predominantly is the adage that “In order for the woman to be born, the girl must die first.”  I have lived those words and I wouldn’t change a single one them to get to where I am right now.

I am not a “Queen” in a classic sense. I have no principality to rule, no cool tiara to wear. I have no ladies in waiting or a castle to call my own. It’s more a “lead by example” sitch. Just as Arthur and his men stood for a certain edict and tried to adhere to a code of ethics, that’s what I am doing.

I will seek to understand and never ridicule. I will never speak cruelly nor act cowardly.

I will always champion those who need it without thought of what may be done for me in return. 

When I give my word, that is my binding promise and therefore, unbreakable and unshakable.

My heart will only hold the good around me, no darkness will ever guide my tongue nor my hand. I will forgive all injustices done to me. I will offer hope in the face of despair. I will seek to only bring happiness and strength to those saddened and weak. I will seek to be the best person I can be without tearing others down.

I know people may laugh at me. I know people may assume I’m grandstanding and stroking my own ego.

But I’m not. I finally understanding who I really am. How can there be any shame in that?

Excerpt from Timeless Desire, Book Two of New Camelot:
"Mind if I join you?" He leaned against the doorframe, watching her pummel the padded dummy with sharp jabs.

"It's your funeral." She shot back, not making eye contact, her body language stiff and hostile. 

"Least I can hope, at any rate."

"Nim, I..."

"Sil, play Metallica." She ignored him.

"Yes, Miss Nim."

Master of Puppets began blasting through the room as she gave him a droll look and tossed a roundhouse kick on the dummy's "knee" and another kick to its groin. She knew perfectly well no matter what she said he wasn't going to leave so he shrugged and took off his shirt, tossing it aside and reached for the tape on the neatly organized shelf of supplies. Sitting on the weight bench, he taped his hands up and rose, grabbing a staff off the wall mount and throwing it at her unexpectedly.

Catching it with lightning fast reflexes, she arched a brow his way.

He grabbed another one and approached her slowly.

"What do you think you're doing?" she shouted over the music.

"I'm giving you what you want, Nimue. You want a piece? Come get some, tsylni. Fair fight, first one pinned down wins."

He didn't miss the evil glint of pleasure in her eyes. "If I win, what do I get?"

"My heart."

"That old thing? Keep it." She paused. "If I win, we break our blood link."

"The only way to do that is if one of us dies."

She flashed a fanged grin. "The problem?"


Katorah, thank you so much for hosting me today! You rock, lady!

Interested in keeping up with me and my shenanigans? Follow me at:






Breathless Press Website: http://www.breathlesspress.com/

I can't thank Torie enough for contributing her time to my blog. I hope all of you will take the time to read her books. They are most enjoyable. 


1 comment:

  1. Lady Katorah! Thank you so very much for having me on today! You rock!

    ReplyDelete